Solid Waste Engineering/Waste Management
The Services provided under this category include:
Environmental Site Assessments for solid waste disposal: AWML environmental engineers and scientists have the expertise and experience to conduct environmental site assessment for the siting of commercial or industrial solid waste disposal facility. The activities involved in this assessment include investigating past operations at the selected site, regulatory compliance history, underground storage tanks, or other regulated facilities, and projection of site life based on anticipated disposal rates, daily and intermediate cover requirements, compaction, and permitted capacity.
• Preparation of closure and post-closure plans: The facilities include landfills, land farming and surface impoundments and the closure plans include the performance of feasibility studies to determine the most cost-effective closure alternative.
• Permitting and Design of Solid Waste Facilities: Our solid waste permitting and design projects typically entail preparing revised permit narrative, operations plans, closure plans, groundwater monitoring plans, and construction quality assurance plans, together with a set of full-sized engineering design drawings
• Preparation of Waste Exemption Requests: AWML engineers and scientists have the expertise and experience to prepare solid waste exemption requests for facilities that generate solid wastes, such as sawmills and pulp and paper mills. We can also assist clients to receive approval to re-use their solid waste material beneficially in accordance with existing local regulations.
AWML in conjunction with its consultants and technical partners have the combined expertise and required resources to conduct environmental restoration activities at a wide range of industrial and commercial facilities such as petroleum refining and petrochemical plants, petroleum bulk fuel storage and underground storage tank facilities, oil exploration and production facilities, and other chemical storage and production plants. The services provided under Environmental Restoration include the following:
• Remedial Investigation & Feasibility Studies (RI/FS): The ultimate goal of the RI and FS is to develop data to support the selection of an approach for site remediation and then to use this data in a structured procedure that results in a well-supported/recommended approach. We have conducted remedial investigation and feasibility studies as part of the activities in the challenging Potentially Polluted Area (PPA) studies conducted for Shell western division, among others.
• Remedial Design: The remedial design process is a critical element in the
• clean-up of hazardous waste site and it entails engineering the final remedy for the cleaning of a hazardous waste site. The remedy is selected prior to initiation of the remedial design during the record of decision (ROD) phase of the remediation effort. The selection of a remedial design is based on the analysis of alternative remedies that takes place during the feasibility study process, using risk-based approach.
• Remedial Action (RA): We have cultivated a technical partnership with Globenet Environmental Group, LLC of the U.S.A., to support our services in this area.
Remedial action (RA) is the actual clean-up process at a hazardous waste site. It is the final part of a sequence of events initiated by the remedial investigation. Following the feasibility study, risk assessment, Record of Decision, and remedial design, the RA ultimately results in the remediated site.
Industrial/Hazardous Waste Management
Our professionals have developed and maintained an excellent rapport and working relationship with regulatory agencies. Services provided under the Industrial and Hazardous Waste Services include the following:
• FEPA/DPR Compliance Audit
• Industrial and Hazardous Waste Management Programme Development
• Waste Characterisation and Analysis Plans
• Personnel Training Programme
• Hazardous Waste Contingency Plans
• Oil Spill Prevention and Response Planning.
• Quantitative/Qualitative Risk Analysis (QRA)
In the area of oil spill response planning we rely heavily on the vast experience of our Managing Director and the resources of our offshore strategic partner, CRUCIAL, INC.
AWML International Limited provides complete conceptual and detailed design for virtually any type of water and/or wastewater treatment scenario. Our staff are very experienced in assisting clients with permit applications, renewals or modifications, regulatory negotiations, and preparing layout and detailed design for water or wastewater collection and treatment facilities.
Mixing Zone Modeling/Analysis
Mixing Zone Modeling and Expert Analysis is carried out for waste water discharges in riverine, coastal and offshore marine environment, using the CORMIX Model System. The CORMIX model is a rule based expert system that increases the level of model application to 85% of regulatory mixing zones. It provides safe and reliable mixing zone analysis for conventional and toxic discharges in oceans, rivers, lakes and estuaries. The major emphasis of the system is on the geometry and dilution characteristics of the initial mixing zone, including compliance with regulatory constraints and predicting the behaviour of the discharge plume at larger distances.
Because of its ability to simulate details of plume boundary interactions, important for ecological and human health risk assessment, CORMIX has been successfully applied by regulators such as USEPA and Nigeria DPR, and operators such as SPDC in Bonny and Forcados and SNEPCO at EA Fields through AWML International Limited Consulting Services.
The CORMIX Model System has been successfully applied to Monte Carlo Simulation Modeling of Drilling Mud and Drill Cuttings discharges into offshore/marine environment.
Flood and Erosion Control/Remediation
In collaboration with our local Engineering Consultants and Technical Partners, AWML International provides complete conceptual and detailed engineering services for the remediation/restoration of eroded sites. We also provide hydrologic modeling services to evaluate floodway encroachments, identify flood hazard zones, manage floodplains, and design/evaluate flood channel improvements